In 1206, St. Dominic built the Order of Preachers on the foundation of nine holy women in Prouilhe, France.
More than 600 years later, in 1822, nine women from central Kentucky founded the first Dominican convent in the United States. In 1830, this group sent four women to Ohio at the invitation of Dominican Bishop Edward Fenwick.
Today, 193 years later, the descendants of those first Dominican Sisters advance Christ’s Gospel in the Diocese of Columbus. The Dominican Sisters of Peace also minister in 29 other U.S. Dioceses across the United States, and in founded ministries in Connecticut, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, New Orleans, New York, Ohio, and Tennessee.
Our Generalate, or Congregational headquarters, is located on Airport Drive in the Shephard neighborhood, five minutes from the John Glenn International Airport. Our closest neighbor is Ohio Dominican University, which we founded in 1911.
The Dominican Sisters of Peace seek to heal the wounded Body of Christ in every way we can. Inspired by the Preface of the Mass for the Feast of Christ the King, it is truly our desire to joyfully advance God’s “Reign of truth and life, of holiness and grace, of justice, love and peace.”