Want to be a tutor? We will help you prepare for this challenging and enjoyable work.
All tutors are required to complete two training workshops to learn effective tutoring techniques. Workshops are scheduled most months to accommodate new tutors. A general workshop outline is included here, but please contacts the DLC at 614-444-7330, ext 1 or email DLCcolumbus@oppeace.org for more information.
The purpose of the workshop is to prepare tutors to become successful teachers of adult literacy or ESL students.
- Literacy Definitions/Objectives/Statistics
- Tutor Responsibilities, Characteristics
- Adult Learners’ Characteristics, Learning Styles
- Reading or Math Principles and Strategies
- ESL Student Profile, Principles and Strategies
Tutor training workshops are conducted at the Dominican Learning Center located at 1111 Stewart Avenue, Columbus, OH 43206 on the following Saturdays from 9am to 12:30pm.
- October 12, 2019
- November 16, 2019
- January 18, 2020
- February 15, 2020
- March 14, 2020
- April 25, 2020
Please note: There will be no workshops in December, June or July.
This follow-up to Workshop 1 provides instruction for tutors for their specific students.
- Time: Approximately 1.5 – 2 hours.
- Dates: Workshop 2 is scheduled at a date and time acceptable to the tutor prior to teaching his/her first session.
- Place: The Dominican Learning Center, 1111 East Stewart Avenue, Columbus, OH 43206.