The Dominican Sisters of Peace and the Franklin County Community Coalition work to address a pervasive problem of violence in a trailer park community housing approximately 250 families. Of the families in this community:
- 90% have experienced some form of violence;
- 70% have experienced gun violence or gang activity;
- 80% have experienced domestic violence and bullying, including youth-to-youth bullying as well as adult family-to-family bullying.
For each area of violence, the coalition set lofty goals for reduction and has successfully met, exceeded or is on track to meet each goal – all within three years of working in and with the community.
How did this happen?
- Focus on positive activities to build leadership skills
- Provide a safe physical environment
- Giving youth a safe environment and creating an after school program
- Increase health and wellness
- Empower residents to become individual, family and community advocates.
If you would like donate go to https://community.oppeace.org/bepeacedonations or for more information on this program, please contact Lisset Mendoza at 614-444-7330, ext 8 email@example.com or Yahaira Rose at YRose@oppeace.org